Google

Friday, October 19, 2007

Kudroli Gokarnanatheshwara

Yesterday I visited the Kudroli Gokarnanatheshwara (or Gokarnatheshwara) temple. And now I am angry with myself for not going there earlier in my more than two years in Mangalore! It is a wonderful temple. And during Navratri it is decked up with light & flowers to create a stunning view.

It covers a significant area & significant number of gods :), but is primarily a temple of Gokarnanatha i.e. Shiva. As you enter, the first part you enter is the Shiva temple. It's a grand temple with lot of gold plated surface, lot of lights, lot of flowers, and obviously lot of crowd. I don't know whether it is because of navratri or it is always so.

There is a 'Kalyana Mantapa' to its right where they have put up wonderful statues of different forms of the goddess (Durga, Kali, Gowri, and so on .. ). This obviously is a Navratri special. In addition the place is decorated with paper flowers in a very aesthetic manner. Then there are small temples of various other gods - Ganesha, Krishna, to name a few. Each is decorated very well with gold or silver ornaments or flowers or a combination of these.

To the left of the main temple we have a fountain. Apparently they have a musical fountain show from 6 to 8 pm but I reached a bit late and missed that :(.At other times also the fountain is on, and its very nice to watch with colored lights. I am partially color blind, so if I think it looks good, you might find it even better. On one side of the fountain we have very nice artwork in form of animals depicting some event in mythology. We have a hanuman temple near the entrance and another sculpture opposite to it which I could not really comprehend who it depicts.

Final word: If you happen to be in Mangalore during Navratri, do visit Kudroli. :) Happy Navratri !!

1 comment:

Maheshhhhh....!! said...

It was Navaratri, I knew that this was the best time to visit the temple, sadly I could'nt. :(
dont ask me the reason... Probably I have become too lazy to go out on weekends and on weekdays I prefer to stay in office.. :p

When Navaratri actually started, I got a mail from my colleague describing the beauty of the temple during the festival. He sent me some Pic's of the decorated Kalyan Mantapa and very well decorated statue's of god Shiva, Durga, Ganesha, Krishan and many more. It looked Awesome.

Also, I remember visiting this temple long time back when I was in 6th grade and came here with my parents. Though it was not the festival time when we visited, I liked the ambience in there.

Dude.. Kudroli Gokarnanatheshwara temple Rocks..!!